Monday 21 May 2012

Thing 3: The Thing That Should Not Be

Bit of a misleading title that but it just popped into my head :)

I read the thoughts of some others on their online presence after I Googled myself and left a couple of comments. Honestly, some of you are hilarious (I have found loads of comedy material to steal through this!). Unusually (or so I thought) most of the blogs I read had their owners in a similar position to myself.

Many of the blogs I read today belonged to people with odd names, like me. It's not the Damien part, that's fine. And my full name's not Damien Clatterback or anything (I actually came across this name through work earlier today. I'll be honest, I think it's awesome and sort of wish it was my name) but I am the only person I've ever heard of with my name so when I searched for me, I found only me.

I was not unhappy with the results at first. Top result was to my DeviantArt page (which I'm sure no one I know knows about), second was about playing for my local football team (good stuff), third was a dusty facebook page, and then mostly repetition. I don't mind this information being out there but I was kind of disappointed to see only one result about me professionally (and that's not even library related) but it's a fair reflection of my career to date. Having only finished in library school I know I have a lot of work ahead of me (should I ever get a job in a library) but I'm confident I will change this.

I guess Thing 3 has only hammered this home to me so thank you Thing 3. I'm off now to figure out how to subscribe to some of those witty blogs...

No comments:

Post a Comment